9.23.2007

Shitty storybook values

Part of our nightly routine is story time. We have this book with a bunch of 5 minute stories and I read 1 every night. Most of the stories are ones I've never heard of. Some are good, some are sucky. Tony and I discuss each one after to decide if it'll ever be worth reading again. Tonight's story was "Thumbelina". Now, I'll admit it's been a few (lots) years since I've read this particular story, and I honestly don't remember much about it. And maybe I read a different version.

Basically Thumbelina gets adopted by some lady. The lady takes care of her and raises her and all that. So one day Thumbelina gets kidnapped by this frog cuz he wants to marry her. She escapes and ends up in this meadow where she decides to live (remember this for later). Winter comes so she shacks up with some mouse. Then she finds a swallow with a broken wing and takes care of it for the rest of the winter. Spring comes and the swallow decides to help her and takes her to this clearing in the woods where there are all these fairies. They all want her to stay cuz she's so pretty and they want to make her their princess. She decides to stay with them and they make her into a fairy and she lives happily ever after.

First of all, what the hell? You're gonna get kidnapped and when you finally escape you're not even gonna try to get back home?? Ok, fine. It's winter. Maybe traveling isn't a good idea when you're 3 inches tall. I get it. But spring comes and this swallow can fly you where ever and you don't even try to stop by and tell your poor mother you're alive? And then you get in with some fairy gang and don't even think about your mouse friend who took care of you all winter. And did I mention not going home to see your mother?

And what exactly is that story teaching my daughter? Don't worry about your mom. Go off and live your life and forget that you're breaking your mother's heart.

Thumbelina is an ungrateful bitch.

I may be slightly hormonal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I laughed really hard at that second-to-last line.